Saturday, April 19, 2008

Barcelona in Bloom

Getting on the metro in Plaza Catalunya after spring break, I glanced down Las Ramblas and noticed right away something was different - eveything was green! Yep, it is officially spring here in Barcelona. There are not many other hints that spring has arrived other than the greenery. The temperature continues to hover around 57 degrees, give or take five degrees, with full sun and cloudless skies. I am not sure if the Barcelonians know what a change of season really means.

Nevertheless, the blooming trees make the already gorgeous city that much more picturesque. The other day I took a walk to Parc Guell (because I live THAT close ::big grin::) and was just mesmerized by the view. It wasn't the first time I had seen it, but I could just stare out over Barcelona all day. I think the views are one of my favorite things about this city. Parc Guell takes your eyes down the lines of l'Eixample to the Mediterranean. Montjuic shows the city framed by green landscapes on all sides. Even the view from a tiny, little-know park next to Kelsey's apartment offers a new perspective of the city. The view makes the Torre Agbar and La Sagrada Familia, two of the cities most famous landmarks, look side by side. [It's interesting to note that the people of Barcelona don't orient themselves north/south/east/west, but by mountain or sea. So when they give your directions going toward the mountains or towards the see, you just have to look up to see what they mean.]

The one view I had yet to officially see is perhaps the most famous; Tibidabo. I have seen various views from on the mountain side at the restaurant Mirablau and Parc de Collserola, but not from the tippy top. There is an amusement park at the top that still looks very much like it did at the turn of the century when it was made. The name of Tibidabo comes from the story in the bible when the devil takes Jesus up to the top of a mountain and shows him all the pleasures in the world and says tibidabo: I will give to you. So fitting of the proud Catalans that they named the mountain overlooking their capital city after the name given to all the pleasures in the world. Although, I don't blame them.

I might be able to make it to the top of Tibidabo before I leave, but time is running out and I don't want to stress about jam packing every last tourist sight into the final week. My best memories from this city are not seeing the sights, but just enjoying the city. Plus, I can always see it when I come back. After all, the one thing that is keeping us all sane about leaving, is knowing this won't be the last time were in Barcelona. It just can't be.

I really felt like Barcelona was my home the first time found myself saying "damn tourists!" while trying to get to my metro stop near Plaza Catalunya at the top of las Ramblas. I can't imagine seeing your city taken over by tourists. Although you could say I am just part of the problem, I like to think I have truly made an effort to learn the city as authentically as possible. I know there are some students that come to Barcelona and still couldn't tell you who Sant Jordi is or even what El Born is, but could tell in a second the quickest way to Shoko or wherever Kyke's event is that night. Even our RA told us that were are unlike any other Americans she has met, meaning we have acclimated ourselves well enough that we could easily come back and live in the city. This was perhaps, the best compliment she could have ever given us.

No comments: